Monday, July 30, 2007

Nope, I won't eat it.

NY Times Article about Bioengineering animals and eating them.

I can't imagine ever willingly eating bio-engineered animals. There is simply too big a chance of unintended side affects, in my opinion. The original unmodified animals have properly feed us humans for thousands of years I really don't see a reasons to change that. The environmental effects are also too dangerous. If a large group of the fast growing salmon were to escape, it's happened numerous times with farm raised salmon, and they were to out compete the native wild salmon but turn out to be sterile? Then we caused the extinction of a species because of arrogance in thinking that we know all there is to know when we plainly don't.

I know I sound like a Luddite but I normally really support technology, I just think that we don't have a good enough handle on bio-tech and the side affects to pursue it int this manner. I'm all for bio-tech in medical uses but not the engineering of new organisms.

1 comment:

GMEyster said...

I don't like sterile salmon.

At least I don't like the idea of it.

Oy.