Friday, February 11, 2005

Show Review: Thoroughly Modern Millie

Katie and I saw the show at EJ Thomas Hall. Which is a part of the U of Akron. It was a Friday night show.
Thanks in large part to Gwen, I have become much more interested in the theater. Hopefully this is the first of many great shows we shall see at EJ Thomas. I should say that though I have seen some shows on broadway ( Rent, Cabaret, Lion King ) and the shows that Gwen is/has been/will be in, I have not seen or been around theater much at all, so my opinion may not be the most well informed.
Since I am very much a new comer to the world of musical theater I don't really feel that I can totally commit on how good in a technical sense the performers were. The only negative thing that really stuck out in my mind about the play was the male lead characters singing voice. It sounded a little weak and it seemed that he slid in to a lot of notes which were not intended to be slid into. Then again I'm not a singing and was hearing the music for the first time so could be totally wrong. I also thought that he did an excellent job with the acting. The female lead ( the Character of Millie ) was great as well as the rest of the cast. I very much enjoyed the villain and the comedic side of the play.
My favorite parts were the excellent dancing and the 1920's era jazz. Overall Katie and very much enjoyed the show. Thoroughly Modern Millie Tour and original Broadway Play

No comments: